Home Remedy To Treat Your Cholesterol Levels Naturally
Cholesterol is a kind of fat (lipid) present in your blood. Your cells need cholesterol to function normally, and your body makes it. However, you also get extra cholesterol from fatty foods that you consume.
When you have more than the required amount of cholesterol in your body, it starts building up in your arteries. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. This may further lead to heart and blood flow problems like blood clots, heart attacks, and strokes.
The condition of suffering from high cholesterol is medically termed as hypercholesterolemia.
There are mainly two types of cholesterol:
- Low-Density Lipoproteins (LDL) – LDL is the bad cholesterol that increases your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- High-Density Lipoproteins (HDL) – HDL is the good cholesterol that reduces your risk of developing heart disease and stroke.
What Causes High Cholesterol?
The following are the most common factors that affect your cholesterol levels:
- Foods Rich In Saturated And Trans Fats: Consuming these foods regularly can increase the levels of LDL or bad cholesterol.
- Overweight: Being overweight can lower the levels of good cholesterol and increase the levels of bad cholesterol.
- Inactivity: Not exercising and being inactive can increase your LDL levels and increase the HDL levels.
- Age: Cholesterol (LDL) levels usually begin to rise after 20 years.
- Family History: Those with a family history of high cholesterol levels are prone to the condition.